Saturday, February 5, 2011

shopping with purpose

Recently, I've noticed that I have become very particular about what I want in a purchase. I don't know if this is a result from the over-shopping that *might* have occurred over the Christmas holidays, or maybe it has something to do with the dismal selection of clothes hanging on the racks at this time of year (leftover winter stock in stores and spring clothes trickling in at a snail's pace leave much to be desired). Or maybe I'm just not excited about what I see.

Thinking back on past shopping mistakes and regrets and after finding this blog and reading this insightful blog post, I've decided that I'm going to allow myself 5 items to purchase each season, but only if they meet my standards. This will allow me to actually think about what I want, and also give me time to come up with the funds, if said item were to be a designer purchase (overtime, anyone?).

Also, by posting this on my blog, it's out there for everyone in the e-world to see (oh, haiii!) and therefore, pretty much sets this resolution in the proverbial stone. Hopefully, I can will be able to stick to this resolution and have 20 lovely additions to my closet at the end of 2011 that personifies {my style} in a nutshell.

Here's my list for Spring 2011: 

1. Leather cross-body handbag in a neutral colour. So far, it's a toss-up between this one or this one.
2. Envelope clutch in a colour other than black.
3. Ombre shirt, preferrably in blue or purple but I am open to trying any other interesting colour combinations.
4. White silk long-sleeved button up shirt.
5. Black straight leg or slightly flared pants (no jeans, no leggings, and definitely not skinny or wide-leg). 
* Side note - I will make an exception and allow myself ONE frivolous, unexpected purchase each season. Therefore, if I find something undeniably spectacular, no matter what the item is, I won't feel TOO guilty about purchasing it and breaking my resolution.

Today, I can check off two items off my list:

This Roots envelope is actually an iPad sleeve, but I think it would function just as well as a daytime clutch.
I've been obsessing over ombre for a couple of years now and finally found what I wanted in this shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment