Saturday, September 15, 2012

jumping on the red (band) wagon

Nothing like catching up with an old friend you haven't seen in years over a nice meal. My co-worker was the one the who suggested the Red Wagon Cafe, located on East Hastings. This little gem of a cafe is serving up delicious stick-to-your-ribs comfort food with a twist. I ordered the pulled pork pancakes (yay for having breakfast for dinner!) which also comes with an optional side of 2 eggs, and my dining buddies ordered the pulled pork sandwich and the croque monsieur.

Pulled pork pancakes: three buttermilk pancakes layered with pulled pork and served with Jack Daniels maple syrup. 
Look at how fluffy and airy the buttermilk pancakes in contrast with the sweet BBQ pulled pork crammed in between the layers... SO GOOD.
Pulled pork sandwich on a Portegeuse bun and served with a side of fries. This is a messy sandwich to eat, so make sure to have plenty of extra napkins
The blurry picture of a gooey croque monsieur: grilled ham and cheese sandwich with bechamel served with fries or salad (my co-worker ordered the salad with her meal) . Perfectly gooey and creamy with a nice outer crunch.
Doodles that previous customers have done on their placemats. My favourite is the octopus in the red wagon. 
I would totally come here again, if only for the pulled pork pancakes, but I'd also try some of the other items on the menu (pulled tofu sandwich, anyone?). I've heard that it gets super busy on Sunday mornings, with the line snaking out the door, but it's totally worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment